Monday, March 22, 2010

90 Day Play - Day 22

Sitting in my living room in Dublin, eating rashers and drinking Diet Coke.

So it's been 17 days since my last blog. Obviously, the blogging is lagging behind, but I have actually been making some steady progress on the play. So far I have a clear outline of both acts, excepting two major events which I haven't quite figured out. In some ways, the play is going to be both more epic and simpler than I originally thought. I've decided to cut the characters down quite a bit and include some more ensemble based scenes.

I did finally write the last scene, although after having written it, the story begs for an epilogue. This is one of the events I'm not quite sure how to execute. I know what I want the final scene to feel like, but I'm not yet sure of its manifestation.

Since I'm in Dublin now, I'm going to be able to use Trinity's wifi to be more consistent in my blogging and, hopefully, I'll pound out an act in the next few weeks. I'm also glad to be having some outside support. There's a writing group (a remnant from a playwriting course I took at Fishamble) that is meeting tomorrow. I always look forward to writing groups because of the impact they have on my work and my motivation, and this group has always been particularly supportive.

So...more on this later. I will leave you with a bit of dialogue that I'm playing with:

SPARROW follows EOIN

SPARROW
What did you do to that boy?

EOIN
He changed his mind.

SPARROW
He was ready to kill Reilly. He was going to do it!

EOIN
Musta thought better of it.

Pause.


SPARROW
Must have.

Pause.

SPARROW
Still, never seen a boy turn like that. Maybe he had some help

EOIN
I don't follow.

SPARROW
Help changing his mind.

EOIN
Maybe he did.

SPARROW grabs EOIN by his elbows.

SPARROW
What did you do?

EOIN struggles to touch SPARROW. SPARROW immobilizes EOIN's hands
.

SPARROW
You touched him, boy!

No comments: